Income support

Income support helpline number

Income support is a kind of benefit that is intended to support people who have no incomes whatsoever, those who have very low incomes and those people who are living in circumstances that make it difficult for them to be able to make the right amount of money that they can be able to live on.


How can you apply for an income support?

For you to be able to apply for an income support, you have to meet all the following requirements that have been set out:

  • You are either a single parent with a child who is under the age of five, pregnant or you are the caregiver of a person who is either disabled or sick. In other cases, it may also apply if you are the disabled or sick person.
  • You need to be in the set working age (this is either between the age of 16 and the age that you can be able to receive a pension)
  • You are working for less than 16 hours in a week and your partner (if you have one) is working for less than 24 hours in a week.
  • You are living in either England, Scotland or Wales.
  • You and your partner (if you have one) have no income at all or you are getting income that is very low and the savings that you have is less than £16,000.

You can also be able to get an income support contact if you are between the ages of 15 and 20, you are under full-time education or you are able to meet one of the requirements mentioned below:

  • You are a refugee who is learning to speak proper English.
  • You are a parent.
  • You are not living with a guardian or a parent.

Another important thing to note is that you do not really need a permanent address for you to be able to claim or apply for an income support. This means that you can be able to apply if you are either living in hostels for the homeless or you are homeless who is living in the streets. However, you cannot be able to get an income support if you are receiving a universal credit. You may also not qualify if you are already receiving ESA or JSA. If you would like to find out more about how eligible you are or you are not really sure of all the requirements, it is advisable that you call  0844 776 9639 so that you are able to get the kind of assistance that you need. 

How can you be able to claim for an income support?

By calling the job center which is available from Monday to Friday 8 am to 6 pm, you can be able to make a claim for your income support. If you have a hard-of-hearing condition or you are deaf, you can make use of textphone to make your claim. This service is available in both English and the Welsh language.

Once you decide to call the number that has been given above for you to make your claim, you need to have the following documents at hand.

  • All the important details about your household and who else is living there.
  • Your national insurance number
  • Your address information including your mobile or phone number as well as your postcode.
  • Your date of birth.
  • All the necessary details regarding your income and your partner’s income as well (if you have one)

It is also highly advisable that in the case that anything changes or your circumstances changes, make sure that you notify the job center immediately. This is especially so if the number of people who are living in your household changes or if you get a job. If you do not report this kind of changes, then you may end up been charged since you are going to be committing what is known as benefit fraud.


Common frequently asked questions

What do I do if I do not agree with the decision that has been made in regards to my benefit?

In case this is the case, then it is advisable that you ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration of the decision that has been made from the DWP. In the scenario that the decision is still upheld even after you done this, then you can go ahead and file an appeal from the social security and child support tribunal.

  • Does my partner need to make any separate claim from mine for income support?

No, you can claim for you and your partner at the same time.

  • If the income is awarded, how will I get paid?
  • The income support will be paid through your building society or bank.

Comments (1)

Joseph Martin
  • 1. Joseph Martin (link) | 22/09/2017
You are fantastic in writting the posts and thanks for sharing the knowledge

Add a comment

You're using an AdBlock like software. Disable it to allow submit.